The dairy milk industry began generating a lot of marketing from around the time of WW1. The world was educated that the only effective way to obtain calcium was from cow’s milk, and every generation since has been fed the same lies.
However! There is some interesting news.
There has been a reported 40% increase across the last 3 years for non-dairy milk alternatives in the UK! Along with the sales of non-dairy beverages such as almond, soy, and rice milk hitting $1.33 billion in 2011 in the US. In Australia, Freedom Foods brand marked a trending 24% sales growth in 2012 of its soy, rice and almond milks.
Food For Thought
- Humans are the only species who continue to drink breast milk after we’re weaned off our own mother’s milk. Not only that, but we then drink another species’ milk that’s pumped full of calcium supplements.
- Yes, supplements. In order to supply the ginormous qualities of milk that the world’s population gulps down, mass production dairy cow’s are forced to spend their entire lives in feedlots and sheds. There isn’t really any amount of grass available considering factory farms do not perform any environmentally sustainable soil fertilising. Thus, cows require calcium supplements in their unnatural feed of corn, soy, wheat and grains.
- Dairy cows endure annual cycles of forced artificial insemination (rape), pregnancy and birth. The mechanised milking lasts for 10 out of 12 months. This excessive metabolic drain overburdens the cows and leads to epidemics of imposed diseases, such as lameness and mastitis (udder infections). These are the two leading causes of dairy cow mortality in the US alone.
- Antibiotics are frequently used to combat mastitis, along with growth hormones to produce bigger yields of milk.
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has a memorandum of understanding with the Department of Primary Industry (DPI) Australia, in regards to the import/export of dairy. The FDA allows 750 million pus cells in every litre of milk. It is all cooked (pasteurised) at high temperatures, but they don’t remove the pus and blood, nor does it negate the effect of the toxins produced.
- Calcium is obtained naturally via broccoli, almonds, chia seeds, orange juice, and certain leafy greens.
So, Why The Dairy Milk Push?
The Got Milk? ad campaign was the US dairy industry’s trump card, generating over 90% brand awareness. Advertisement was aimed to convince cash-strapped consumers that milk was a cheap, nutritious option for them and their families.
The rise in popularity of plant-based milks can be attributed to the fact that awareness of plant-based milk health benefits has grown.
A report states that the health issues, including lactose intolerance, milk allergy, and the genetic disorder phenylketonuria (PKU), can be addressed through the consumption of dairy alternative beverages because these plant-based milks are free of animal proteins, in particular casein.
Do you think the dairy industry is a tad nervous?